Friday, October 14, 2011

Vegetable in a cupcake?!

Now this one was creative! Why put vegetables in a cake? Cake is commonly sweet and so why use something other than sugary fruits or flavors?

It just so happens that I am a vegetarian. Not by choice, that is, but that is another story we will get to one day. Being a vegetarian allows me to see the good and usefulness in many naturally grown fruits and vegetables but I don't know that I would think of carrots as a base to a cake, So why and when would someone think of carrots as an additive to cake?

Turns out, it all started in the medieval period when sucrose was expensive and hard to come by, so some smart old cook (or old woman sitting in by her cooking kettle, so I like to see it) decided to use carrots in place sugar. Turns out carrots have the second highest sugar content in vegetables. And so, Carrot Cake (or Passion cake as it is sometimes referred to) was born!

Carrot Cake takes my senses to the fall, although made year-round. This little moist cake topped with Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Walnuts takes me where the wind blows and the leaves fall.

Happy Fall Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment